Saturday, July 15, 2006

What A Crappy Ending To A Day

On my way home tonight, I saw the saddest sight ever. I was coming down old 52, and a little black puppy was sitting on its rear and dragging itself across the highway. Obviously, someone had hit it, and it was badly injured. Luckily, I saw him in time to hit my brakes, and when he saw my truck coming, he quickly turned and headed back towards the side of the road.

It was pouring rain outside and I had a few cars behind me and the baby in the car. I wanted badly to stop and rescue it and take it to a nearby emergency vet hospital, but I didn't. Instead I continued on and watched it drag itself back into the grass. Why didn't I stop and rescue him? I reasoned that it was raining. I reasoned that I didn't know if it had rabies or would bite. Besides, I wouldn't feel safe with him in the back with Gabriel. How would I pick him up with an injured backside? I secretly hoped that someone would stop to rescue him, or even just hit him and put him out of his misery. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I am a huge animal lover--especially a dog lover. I can't believe I didn't do anything.

I feel like shit.

3 Comments:

At 3:00 PM, Blogger Lek said...

I hate seeing dogs in pain like that, too. I used to watch Animal Hospital, but some of the stuff on there is too much for me. Poor puppy.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger XOsunnydaysXO said...

yeah...i felt absolutely sick to my stomach and my head was spinning. it's such a terrible feeling to see something like that and do nothing about it. i suck.

 
At 2:53 PM, Blogger Lek said...

I concur. you suck. Meanie.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home