Sunday, August 31, 2008

2:57:38

P8310793


Tracie and I have been training for months now, all for today. We're in Virginia Beach, and running The Rock and Roll Half Marathon. I have always enjoyed running, but I am really not a strong runner. The last few years, I started getting into the Cooper River Bridge Runs, which are only 6 miles, but a half marathon is something I certainly never considered.

Tracie brought up the idea of it after we finished last year's bridge run, but it was something I quickly dismissed. Somehow, I started to go back and forth with the idea, and began to read up on it. This race was to help raise funds for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and I had recently lost a brother in law who was diagnosed with leukemia in 2000, and eventually lost his battle to pancreatic cancer in 2006. Suddenly, this race had a whole new meaning to it, and so the training began.

P8310780 P8310788

Tracie and I have trained consistently and faithfully for months now. I don't know if a non-runner can truly understand the time and discipline that goes into training for a marathon. I get up at 4:30 on Saturday mornings to beat the heat during our long runs--mind you, that Saturdays are the days I should be sleeping in and relaxing on my day off. And then, there are the week days when you are tired from a long day at work, and make the effort to get some mileage in. Long story short, you really gotta want to do this.

Anyway, I was really pleased with our run today. It was definitely hot and muggy, but we started the first 8 miles strong. By mile 10, I was crashing and felt like I wanted to give up. At one point, I was literally almost in tears....but we had gone too far and worked too hard to give up. By mile 12 it was all mental. My body was already exhausted, and all I could do was keep my mind strong to finish out my last mile. The crowds cheering helped pushed me through, and Tracie and I crossed the finish line hand-in-hand exhausted, relieved, and proud...I couldn't help but to cry as we finished!

Definitely no easy task, but certainly worth attaining something you never thought you would do...oh, and also we beat our best time!

P8310791

Ken, this was for you...we love and miss you so much...

**update**
I forgot to mention that during our half-marathon today, I saw the Hoyt Team going past us on their home stretch. You have no idea how excited I was to see them! If you don't know who they are already, do yourself a favor and look them up. Dick Hoyt's love and dedication is amazing, and I can't help but feel inspired and in complete awe by him. I got so choked up seeing him and his son in real life today!! Just another little push of encouragement for me today....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home