Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Back In The Old Days...

Kevin and I drove to Summerville this afternoon to pick up a car. Stratford High students were just getting out of school, and I couldn't help but notice the cars coming out of their parking lots. Escalades with rims costing a couple grand, brand new Jeeps, and other very nice vehicles. I couldn't help but think back to my highschool days. Kevin and I both agreed that kids didn't drive cars that nice back when we were still in school.

Sunday evening, Jen came over for dinner. As we discussed her pharmacy schooling, the topic of Ritalin came up. You wouldn't believe how many students we have here at our dojo with "ADD" or "ADHD." From my experience here at work, when a parent tells me that their kids are ADD or ADHD, that is synonymous with "undisciplined." And then, they decide to drop their monsters off here to pawn them off onto someone else to discipline 'em. Well, guess what. It doesn't work that way. You can't allow a child to run like hell as they please over whomever they want for 7 years, and then try to have somebody teach them otherwise. And then worse, continue not to enforce discipline at home. I think that if I were a doctor, and a parent claimed they thought their kids were ADD, I would tell them that the remedy for that is a good 'ol fashioned ass whoopin'.

Now, a saint, I am not. However, I feel that kids these days are extremely rude, lazy, and undisciplined. They have no sense of responsiblity. Of course, this is the parents' faults. I only hope that I will continue to make mental notes of these blaringly obvious traits that I too often see. After all, someday I too shall be parent. And suddenly, I am afraid.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home