Monday, April 04, 2005

Cooper River Bridge Run 2005


cooper river bridge run 2005

I stayed with my friend, Rachel, in Mt. Pleasant Friday evening to run the bridge run early the next morning. We were to meet at the starting line by 7 a.m. but we were both awakened at 5 a.m. by thundering and lightning. At first I was a little unsure about getting up and running in that sort of weather, then finally decided that we were gonna do it, rain or shine.

This year was South Carolina's 28th annual organized 10k run. Because we are getting a new bridge very soon, this would be the last year to run it on the old brige. There was a record breaking 40,000 competitors, with 18,000 of them runners.

Waiting at the starting line was miserable. It was cold, raining, and windy. Everyone was shivering and anxiously waiting to get moving. Once the race began, however, the rain stopped and finally the sun began to shine as we approached the bridge.

I can honestly say that this run was not as hard as I had anticipated it to be, considering that there was 30 mph winds going against us on incline of the bridge. Even with some bottle-necking at the base of Pearman bridge, and some short picture taking breaks, Rachel and I managed to run it in 1:21:05. Not bad for a first time! I'm already looking forward to next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home