Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Another Reason To Look Forward To Hawaii




I'm going to Hawaii again in a few weeks. Usually we hang out in Oahu, but we'll be spending 5 days in Maui, which should be really cool. Then we'll go to Oahu for 3 days to compete and train.

I asked if we could spend some time in Maui, since Kevin and I have both never been to that island. Oahu is not exactly what you think of when you visit Hawaii. Well, not to me anyway. The first time I went, I envisioned hanging out by a secluded beach in the hammock. Instead, the island greeted me with skyscrapers and crowded streets. Since then, I haven't been quite as excited each time we go. Call me spoiled, but our trips normally consist of competing, training, and meetings. Not this time....

I was reading through my Parachutist magazine today, and found a list of dropzones throughout America. Well, whaddya know? There's one just 45 minutes out of Honolulu! Duh...why didn't I think of that?? I've jumped out South Carolina many times before, but Hawaii would be gorgeous to see, flying 13,000 feet in the air!!

I called the dropzone over there this afternoon, and found out that they jump out of King Airs, which I've jumped from on my very first tandem in 2000, and once in October during a solo jump. The exit is a little different, and I tumbled a bit from improper body position. Hey, give me a break-it was my first time jumping out of one of those aircrafts! Nonetheless, they're really cool; you get about 15 seconds more freefall due to higher altitude, and also the climb is much faster.

I've taken a break from jumping partially due to financial reasons, but I think I should splurge on this one. This will be a gorgeous jump; I just know it! My heart's already pounding and I'm getting butterflies, just thinking about it! I can't wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home