Saturday, April 30, 2005

Saying Goodbye




It's amazing how an animal quickly becomes part of your family. I saw Amber when she was only a few days old at a breeder's house. I came by every couple of weeks to watch her grow, and even had the breeder mark her ear; I knew she was the one who belonged in our household.

People think that rabbits are plain, boring animals. You would be surprised at how much personality these little creatures have. For two years Amber has made me laugh with her silly antics. She greets me at my arrival, snuggles by my side and gives kisses, pulls on my clothes when she demands my attention, and jumps straight up into the air when she is in a particularly good mood. For a week now, I haven't seen her as I've known her to be.

The blockage in her stomach is not doing well, and I've spent a lot of money for treatment that is not improving anything. Today, her health has fallen drastically south. It's hard for me to choose, but I feel that this past week has been hard on her. Every day, twice a day, I've had to force feed medicine and fluids into her mouth. Last night I finally looked at her and could see that this was a losing battle. Her eyes had already lost their life. This is no way to live.

Amber deserves more than this, and today I chose to let her rest...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home