Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Jamaica Girls' Trip 2007


beach
Originally uploaded by xosunnydaysxo.
Well, I made it back in one piece. Our first annual girls' trip was indeed, a success. I met Anna and Rachel in the Atlanta airport, with Rachel flying in from Charlotte. The flight was fairly short, and we were anxious to get vacation started.airport

Speaking of "anxious to get vacation started," I must say that we started out on a bit of the wrong foot. First of all, when we finally got through customs in Montego Bay, we hopped anxiously onto our bus, ready to see our hotel and get checked in. We were graciously greeted by sitting in our bus for half an hour, wondering where our stupid driver was. When he finally decided to grace us with his presence, we were introduced to the crowded, narrow, and crazy driving of Jamaica. Not only that, but the driver and another passenger were bickering back and forth over his tardiness. All I could think of was him jumping into the back of the bus and strangling us.

After checking in, was the fiasco of figuring out what the damned number was to use our calling card so that we could all check in with our hubbies to let them know we were alive. Cell phone service didn't work, and the instructions to using the phone card failed to give us the 800 number to dial out. No worries, we'll just use the internet service to figure it out. That is...if you have the patience for their reeeeaaallllly slllloooooow dialup service. Twenty minutes wasn't even long enough to load the first page. You damned impatient, spoiled Americans...
slow internet

After we finally figured out the whole phone thing and checked in, everything improved from there on. We started our next day bright and early to visit Mayfield Falls. This was not at all what I had expect...in a good way. For starts, our driver, "Indian," was excellent. Very friendly and eager to teach us of Jamaica, he did an outstanding job. Next was our fantastic tour guide who took us through the falls. I guess I was sort of under the impression that we would be hiking up "something" to look at waterfalls. I had no idea that we would be hiking *up the actual waterfalls*. Now, I am not exactly crazy about water, but I am so glad that we did this excursion. It was not at all "touristy" and we were the only ones on this guide. Mayfield falls is very peaceful and beautiful, and our guide Dennis was happy to show us some really cool stuff that we never would have found on our own.mayfield falls He even showed us some really cool hiding spots behind the falls where we were able to take cool pictures of...waterfall hiding spot refreshing

Another cool excursion we did was to go ziplining above the jungle in Montpelier. It was a bit of a tiring climb, but well worth it. I was surprised that Anna agreed to do this one, but I think she was glad to do it. The crew was witty and fun, and the experience was memorable. zipline 002we made it!

my bungalow Here's a pic of our bungalow. I wish I'd taken more pics of the inside, but take my word for it. They were well done. swimup This is the cool swim up bar...that we never used. It was neat, but I guess it would have been cooler if we'd actually used it. goosebumps Their cocktails were so strong and some so gross that they even gave Rachel goosebumps! LOL!! rastaman Here's the rasta guy that was not only a contortionist and a fire dancer. He was also our limbo instructor...and I won!

lemon shootersAside from our excursions, we mostly just hung around our resort and relaxed, which was really the main purpose of our trip. With jobs, babies, and husbands, I thought that we were all due for some unwind girly time. I think we need to remember that aside from a mommy and a wife, we're still just us, too. Hey, we're all entitled to a little ME time, right?

I did thoroughly enjoy our trip, and hope that we can make this an annual thing. But as always, I was missing my boy and eager to get home to him. It's always nice to get away sometimes, but it's also nice to come back to the ones you love....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home